Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Blog Post #3

 Peer Reviewing
I have learned a lot about peer reviewing by viewing What is Peer Reviewing Editing and Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes, videos and ,Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial slideshow. Growing up in school, I was not taught to stay positive when peer reviewing. I was taught to be straightforward with the student's work and to not hold nothing back. Now, I realize that sometimes that is not the right way when peer reviewing because most importantly he or she is a human and humans have feelings. So, that is why when we make suggestions to students, we should say it in a positive way.

I know as a Southerner, we tend to make words when we speak and will apply those words to our writing. For instance," Everyone's having a great time." We know that there is not a contraction for everyone is but we have established this error in our everyday speaking. So before criticizing someone's work, we must first try relate to why the person might have made these mistakes in the first place. I love the concept of starting off a peer review with compliments because it will definitely make the peer feel as if you really care about his or her writing.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you in that we write how we talk. I sometimes find myself doing it and have to remember that I am not texting anyone. I had to start texting how I write so that I would not get used to the text language. I grew up peer editing and the teacher would make us use two compliments before we could say what one of their mistakes were. It is hard to keep in mind that you need to let your peer know the compliments when your purpose is to edit. I am not sure if you are aware, but Dr. Strange changed the blog post #3 assignment. He wanted to give us more time with the rubrics, so he moved that part of the assignment to blog post #5. Also we are supposed to have a picture or video for every blog post. I did not know this either until someone told me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for informing about the changes to the blog #3. I was not aware of the changes. I did blog #3 on Monday which was way in advance of the due date.

      Delete
  2. Excellent post!! I too have to remember when commenting and writing papers that I have to talk formally. I like the point you made about being a southern and using our "slang" when being professional!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point about understanding the reasoning behind a person's errors. It will help with giving a constructive critique.

    Be sure to include links in every post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been adding links to my posts. For some reason, when I publish them they don't appear on the post.

      Delete
    2. There is something with the way you are doing it. There are no links in any of your posts. The lab will be staffed all week if you want to come in and let one of us help you figure out what is wrong.

      Delete